In order to survive the competition and be in the race, HR department should consciously update itself with the transformation in HR and be aware of the HR issues cropping up. With high attrition rates, poaching strategies of competitors, there is a huge shortage of skilled employees and hence, a company’s HR activities play a vital role in combating this crisis. Suitable HR policies that would lead to the achievement of the Organization as well as the individual’s goals should be formulated. HR managers have to manage all the challenges that they would face from recruiting employees, to training them, and then developing strategies for retaining them and building up an effective career management system for them. Just taking care of employees would not be enough; new HR initiatives should also focus on the quality needs, customer-orientation, productivity and stress, team work and leadership building and
The management has to recognize the important role of Human Resource Department in order to successfully steer organizations towards profitability. It is necessary for the management to invest considerable time and amount, to learn the changing scenario of the HR department in the 21st century.
1. Put together a solid team One function of the human resources (HR) department is to hire good staff for all departments. Be sure the HR department is staffed well. Hire as many team members as your departmental budget will permit. The number of employees your HR department needs will depend on the size of the company you are working for, and the functions your department is expected to perform. Hire specialists for each function, such as a Benefits Administrator, Trainer and Recruiter. Or, if you have fewer employees, hire Generalists who can manage multiple functions. Building & maintaining cordial relations between people working at different levels of the organization is critical to any organization.
2. Communicate with your team about your expectations. Make sure all the members of the HR department understand their responsibilities. Communicate individual responsibilities to the entire company. Your HR department will run more efficiently if the company employees know which team member to contact for payroll questions, benefits enrollment, etc. how to manage human resources
3. Insist upon confidentiality. The HR department has access to a lot of personal information. The department also handles sensitive issues such as harassment complaints and labor disputes. Discretion is essential.
4. Maintain an open door policy for management/staff & provide fair working conditions, wages and amenities to the employees. The company’s workers as well as its leaders should feel comfortable coming to HR for assistance.
5. Ensure effective utilization of the available human resources. To achieve the development of each individual employee to his/her fullest potential,Be sure to cross train the members of the HR team. This will help you cover vacations, sick days and other time off. No one will have to wait for help if one of your employees is absent.
6. Allow your department’s team members to train each other. This will ensure everyone understands the basics of each person’s job. Promote professional growth on your team. Allow your HR staff to take seminars, classes and attend meetings that will further their knowledge of the HR field. Suggest opportunities if there are areas of weakness on your team. For example, if attracting talent is something no one specializes in, look for classes or publications and recommend them to your team.
7. Keep yourself updated on the developments and best practices in the HR field. Join professional organizations such as the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), sign up to receive newsletters and network with other HR managers.
8.Set a good example.. Maintaining a professional and positive demeanor yourself will help your department do the same. This attitude will then spill over into the entire company.
9.Be sure all company policies and procedures are followed within your department. Complete reviews on time, keep your budget on track and report to management as required.